Development & Communications Associate
The Dimock Center is the second-largest community health center in Boston, located in the Roxbury neighborhood. At Dimock, our mission is to heal and uplift individuals, families, and the community. Founded in 1862 as the New England Hospital for Women and Children, we’re considered a national model for delivering comprehensive health care in an urban setting. While staying true to our original intent — serving Boston’s most vulnerable —we’ve continued to evolve and innovate to address the full scope of the physical, developmental, and behavioral needs of the community and its residents. We’re committed to breaking down barriers to care and correcting historic racial inequities by providing everyone who lives in Roxbury and other nearby communities with access to comprehensive, high-quality health care, mental health support, and early education. If you are passionate about public health, serving our Roxbury community, and want to gain valuable nonprofit development and communications experience as part of a fast-paced, dynamic team, this is the role for you!
Reporting to the Senior Director of Development, the Development and Communications Associate is responsible for managing donor and community engagement projects to contribute to fundraising and communications goals. This position is part of the Development and Communications team, which also includes the Chief Development Officer, a Senior Director of Development, a Manager of Marketing and Communications and a Development and Communications Assistant. The Development and Communications Associate works closely with all team members, and takes additional direction from the Manager of Marketing and Communications. This position provides supervision to college and high school interns, primarily in the summer, and office volunteers throughout the year. This is an excellent position for someone looking to enhance their skills and develop a broad range of experience in nonprofit development, event planning, and communications.
- – Collaborate with and support the other team members in planning and executing annual special events. This includes event logistics, volunteer recruitment and management, budgeting, financial tracking, and sponsor stewardship.
- – Work with external printers, graphic designers, photographers, videographers, and other vendors to produce event collateral (signage, invitations, etc.) as needed for all events.
- – Utilize and maintain the CRM database, Constant Contact, Dimock websites and other technology platforms. Train volunteers and other staff in using various technologies, as needed.
- – As part of the team, create internal and external communications pieces: newsletters, acknowledgement letters, annual reports, grant proposals, website content, social media content, brochures, email campaigns and any other needed collateral.
- – Collaborate with the Development and Communications Assistant to complete data entry and mailings, and to utilize fundraising tools for accurate tracking.
- – Promote, organize, and oversee all logistics related to corporate service days; act as Dimock point person for corporate volunteers.
- – Supervise interns and additional volunteers.
- – Manage day-to-day office operations activities (ordering supplies, stationary, etc.).
- – Assist with photography as needed.
- – Bachelor’s Degree required.
- – Minimum of two years of Development or Communications experience required.
- – Experience with donor databases preferred (Dimock uses Bloomerang).
- – Nonprofit event planning experience, preferred
- – Proactive, positive, and collaborative approach to work. Creativity and a high level of energy.
- – Ability to work collaboratively and congenially as part of a small, fast-paced team.
- – Outstanding interpersonal skills and ability to work and communicate with diverse constituents, including colleagues, patients, families, donors, and vendors.
- – Outstanding project management, organizational, and time management skills.
- – Demonstrated ability to handle multiple priorities and projects. Outstanding attention to detail and ability to proofread work.
- – Strong oral and written communication skills. (Spanish language proficiency, a plus!)
- – Experience with professional use of social media; experience maintaining and improving websites. Knowledge of WordPress and HTML a plus.
- – Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work independently and prioritize work daily.
- – Significant technological proficiency, including in Microsoft Office, Constant Contact, and ability to train others.
- Flexibility to work early mornings, nights and weekends for events and meetings.
- – A desire to serve our Roxbury community and ensure access to high-quality health care!
To apply please submit both a cover letter and resume to Mary Halpin at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Dimock Center 55 Dimock Street, Roxbury MA 02119 www.dimock.org