Our Early Head Start and Head Start Programs are funded to serve a total of 291 children, families and expectant mothers living in the Roxbury, Dorchester, Mattapan and Jamaica Plain neighborhoods of Boston.
Dimock’s Early Head Start center-based program serves 116 infants and toddlers, ages 4 months – 3 years, on the main campus of Dimock, located in the heart of Roxbury. Children attend year-round (49 weeks), five days a week, six hours per day. Dimock’s Head Start center-based program serves 131 preschool-age children and operates on a traditional school-year schedule (September-June), five days per week from 8:30am to 2:30pm. Dimock currently operates two Head Start Centers – both of which are located on the main Dimock campus (Jackie Jenkins-Scott building (JJS) and Abantwana).
Dimock’s Early Head Start Home-Based program serves 44 expectant families and their children ages birth to three. Operating year-round, trained EHS Home-Based Specialists provide weekly home visits designed to ensure positive birth outcomes and optimal family functioning.
Our Early Head Start and Head Start programs offer high-quality services to increase the school readiness of children and promote the success of families, including:
- Safe, welcoming facilities
- Low teacher-child ratios
- Educated, experienced teachers
- Individualized curriculum, with a focus on STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math), physical activity, nutrition and social-emotional health
- Developmentally-appropriate activities and materials
- Ongoing assessment and evaluation of children’s progress
- Nutritious meals and snacks
- Family involvement, empowerment and goal-setting opportunities
- Individualized case management and support for families
- Screening and follow-up for health, nutrition and developmental concerns
- Assistance in finding a medical and dental ‘home’
- Access to adult education classes, including GED, nutrition and parenting
- Support for families of children with special needs
- Activities to promote father (or father-figure) involvement
We also provide a before, after and summer-school program (B.A.S.E) for children enrolled in its Early Head Start and Head Start programs. Fees are based on the number of days attended per week and vouchers are accepted. New families who are interested in enrolling in B.A.S.E. should talk with enrollment and/or Family Service staff.
Our programs work! Based on the results of comprehensive developmental assessments, 94% of our preschoolers and 93% of our infants and toddlers (including those with special needs) ended the 2012-2013 school year at or above widely-held expectations for their age.
To enroll in Early Head Start or Head Start, families must live in Roxbury, Dorchester, Mattapan or Jamaica Plain and meet federal income guidelines. We encourage families from these communities to apply, even if you are not sure if your family is eligible – we will make every effort to assist you in finding the right place for you and your child.
How to apply:
If you are interested in enrolling your child in Early Head Start or Head Start, please email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org or call 617.442.8800 ext. 1390 or ext. 1219. Applications are accepted year-round. If slots are not available, eligible families are placed on a wait list.
To enroll in Early Head Start or Head Start, parents must provide:
- A completed application
- Birth certificate for the child being enrolled
- Proof of address (lease agreement or utility bill)
- Proof of at least one month of income (tax forms, TANF or SSI award letters also accepted)
- A current immunization report for their child
- Photo identification for parent or guardian
- IEP/IFSP paperwork (for children with identified disabilities)